Trumbull County Office
1834 — Milton Sutliff started a law practice in Warren and was later joined by George M. Tuttle and John Stull. After the Civil War, the firm was known as Sutliff & Stewart, later Tuttle & Hutchins, and then Tuttle & Fillius.
1909 — The law firm became Fillius & Fillius.
1932 — The firm changed its name to Hoppe, Lea, Day & Ford.
1943 — Arden Lea became a Common Pleas Judge, and the firm became Hoppe, Day & Ford.
1969 — Following the retirement of John Q.T. Ford and Robert Day, the firm’s name was changed to Hoppe, Frey, Hewitt & Milligan.
Columbiana County Office
1834 — Alexander Curtis and Theobold Umbstaetter started a law practice in the Jacob Picking Building in New Lisbon, Ohio. Past members include Edwin M. Stanton, who was with the firm from 1840 to 1850 and went on to become U.S. President James Buchanan’s Attorney General and President Abraham Lincoln’s Secretary of War.
1882 — Other members include Major Jonathan Wallace, who defeated Major William McKinley for Congress in 1882; R.W. Tayler, U.S. Congressman and U.S. District Court; and Ernest H. Van Fossan, who went on to serve on the U.S. Court of Tax Appeals.
1906 — The first of the Moores arrived in 1906, when W.B. Moore joined Nathan A. Billingsley in what became Billingsley & Moore.
1930s — Followed in the mid-1930s by W.B. Moore Jr., the firm became Moore & Moore.
1962 — James D. Primm Jr. joined the firm, which became Moore, Moore & Primm.
1974 — The firm name was last changed to Moore, Primm & Conn when Harry R. Conn joined the practice.
Mahoning County Office
1887 — King & McVey was formed in Youngstown.
1901 — John T. Harrington later joined the firm in 1901 and practiced until 1932. The remaining partners of the firm were Jared P. Huxley, Charles F. Smith, Donald J. Lynn, T. Lamar Jackson, Norman A. Emery and David E. Jones. The firm was known as Harrington, Huxley & Smith until 1993.
1918 — Mitchell, Mitchell & Reed was founded in 1918 by Osborne Mitchell, whose son, James E. Mitchell, joined him in practice in 1936.
1920s — Mitchell, Mitchell & Reed’s major client was the Youngstown and Southern Railroad, whose freight and passenger service was instrumental in the growth of the communities south of Youngstown to the Ohio River.
1993 — Mitchell, Mitchell & Reed and Harrington, Huxley & Smith merged to become Harrington & Mitchell, Ltd.
Regional Law Firm
1998 — Harrington & Mitchell and Hoppe, Frey, Hewitt & Milligan merged to become Harrington, Hoppe & Mitchell.
2000 — Harrington, Hoppe & Mitchell expanded its practice into Columbiana County and named Harry R. Conn a member of the firm.